abstract art, Canyon Road gallery, Food for thought, Martha Rea Baker, Notes to myself on painting, Richard Diebenkorn, Santa Fe artist, Studio notes, Word of advice
- Attempt what is not certain. Certainty may or not come later. It may be a valuable delusion.
- The pretty initial position which falls short of completeness is not to be valued – except as a stimulus for further moves.
- Do search. But in order to find other than what is searched for.
- Use and respond to the initial fresh qualities but consider them absolutely expendable.
- Don’t “discover” a subject – of any kind.
- Somehow don’t be bored – but if you must, use it in action. Use its destructive potential.
- Mistakes can’t be erased but they move you from your present position.
- Keep thinking about Pollyanna.
- Tolerate chaos.
- Be careful only in a perverse way.